Aerial view of the city of Dakar, Senegal, showing the densely packed buildings and a highway

In the heart of West Africa lays a fascinating city that combines tradition with rustic environments: Dakar. Considered to be the “Paris” of West Africa, Dakar offers interesting landscapes and important historical sites that blend with outstanding colours from the fabrics of the traditional outfits. The port offers traditional experiences through the fisherman’s wharf and at the same time modern experiences by being one of the main shopping areas of the city.

So, what does this city have to offer during your stay?

Village des Arts: An art complex in a large garden space. In this space photographers, artists, painters and sculptors work together to offer an on site cultural experience

Grand Mosque of Dakar and Medina: The Grand Mosque was built in 1964 in the middle of Medina. Medina is a township built during colonial times as a town for locals. It is characteristics for offering streets full of tiny shops and a very popular and busy Marché.

Place de I’Indépendance: The heart of Dakar, Place de l’Indépendance is home of the Governors Office (Gouvernance) and the Chamber of Commerce. It has a squared, symmetrical structure surrounded by colonial architecture.

Outside the city you can also experience incredible places such as:

Lago Rosa: 35 km outside Dakar lies Lake Retba, a lake known for its pink waters and high concentration of salt.

Gorée Island: Gorée Island is home to the House of Slaves, a museum about the slavery process of thousands of people who were sent to the Americas. The museum maintains its ‘Door of No Return’ where slaves had to pass through it to board the ships that would take them to the new world and never return.

Come and see Dakar during your visit. Join us in YALESI 2016.

28 Comments, RSS

• Yalesi January 22, 2016 @ 4:18 pm Reply

Dear Madam/Sir
    My name is Tombir Stanley and I am writing from Cameroon. I want to inquire how someone can be part of the Global Youth Summit 2016. I will be very grateful for your kind response to my inquiry.

• Yalesi January 23, 2016 @ 2:39 pm Reply

Dear Tombir,
      You can become a part of the Summit by applying on the website. You will find a Apply now options. You have to enter your information and a business plan. This last one is very important because that is the mechanisms we will use to be able to select the youth participant.
      Please let us know if you have any further questions.

• Yalesi January 25, 2016 @ 1:27 pm Reply

Hey, you had given a direction on ‘Apply now’ which is not locatable anywhere around the webpage. Could it be a mistake or something… kindly guide us.

• Yalesi January 25, 2016 @ 3:55 pm Reply

Are travelling and living cost funded or not. I am just planning to start an entrepreneurship venture. Am I eligible and what is the age group you are accepting. Please inform.

• Yalesi January 25, 2016 @ 4:13 pm Reply

Unfortunately traveling and living cost will not be funded. What we offer is a space for you to get the necessary contacts to be able to find funding for your new venture creation. At the summit you will meet investors and supporters. Apart from this, if selected, you will be able to be a part of the Global Youth Business Incubator Application, where you will be able to showcase your business and get connected wt investors and supporters from all over the world.
      We kindly encourage you to apply
      We define youth as people between 18 and 35 years.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

The YALESI Team

• Yalesi January 26, 2016 @ 9:49 am Reply

Hello there,
    am interested in been part of the conference and i have start filling the but o don’t understand what you guys mean by business file?

• Yalesi January 26, 2016 @ 10:00 am Reply

Hello,

Business file means a business idea you have. It can be anything you want, from a product to a sustainable idea for building communities.

• Yalesi January 26, 2016 @ 2:42 pm Reply

Hi,
    My name is Mohammed,I do not represent a youth group,but do have an interest in getting into the agric business field,I would be delighted were you to allow me the opportunity to take part in this meeting coming up in Dakar.

• Yalesi January 26, 2016 @ 2:52 pm Reply

Dear Mohammed,

You do not need to be a part of a youth group to apply. You just have to be between 18 and 35 years old and have an idea on venture creation, community building, hunger fighting, innovation or volunteering.
      You have to apply with your idea to be able to compete for a place at YALESI.
      We hope to hear from you.
      The YALESI Team

• Yalesi January 27, 2016 @ 1:18 am Reply

My name is ousman jobe.I’m a GYIN member and have received 12 days experienced trainning from Cory project partnership with GYIN.I also received trainning from NEMA project agriculture and business.I was also send as a representative of Cory project to attained NEMA 2016 planary session for 3days.I’ll be very much interested to attain the meeting at dakar.Hope to hear from the project soonest as the request send.

• Yalesi January 27, 2016 @ 12:13 pm Reply

Dear Ousman,
      Thank you for your message. To be able to attend yalesi as youth you have to register online at the website under “apply now”. You should apply with a business plan to be able to compete for a place.
      If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask

• Yalesi January 27, 2016 @ 1:40 pm Reply

Please I am over 35 years that is 38 years and have a business idea in agribusiness , can I apply ?

• Yalesi January 31, 2016 @ 10:52 pm Reply

Yes, you can still apply

• Yalesi January 27, 2016 @ 5:13 pm Reply

I want to contact you directly. Which email should i write to ?

• Yalesi January 29, 2016 @ 8:56 am Reply

hi,
    my name is daniel from ghana. please can you tell me more about yalesi program.

• Yalesi January 30, 2016 @ 6:05 pm Reply

Hi Daniel,

The YALESI summit has the purpose to bring youth and experts together to talk about Youth Capacities to Fight Hunger and Create Employment opportunities. It is divided between panel discussions, workshops, and academic discussion, where youth will be able to hear first hand about what international institutions, corporations and universities have to say about these subjects. Besides these events, the Summit will bring keynote speakers from different organisations. Parallel to this, youth will be showcasing their products at the market place. All of this will build into the launching of the Global Youth Business Incubator Application, where youth will be able to sign up to meet possible investors and supporters to move their business forward.

We hope this answers your question and motivates you to apply.

• Yalesi January 29, 2016 @ 9:27 pm Reply

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am Mohamed Lamin Kamara, youth leader and entrepreneur from Sierra Leone West Africa. I am interested in attending the conference in Dakar this 2016. However i will appreciate if you can provide me with the relevant information that will enable me participate in the forth coming event.
    Best Regard
    Mohamed Lamin Kamara

• Yalesi January 30, 2016 @ 6:20 pm Reply

Dear Mohamed,

For you to be able to participate at YALESI you have to register under ‘Apply Now’. There you have to upload a business plan or idea to be able to compete for a place. The registration process will be until the 7th of February and we will get back to you as soon as possible with the results.
      We hope this answers your question.
      The YALESI Team

• Yalesi January 30, 2016 @ 7:47 pm Reply

Wonderful initiative.
    I really wish to be part of this.
    A community activist from Benin
    Christ Mendela A.

• Yalesi January 31, 2016 @ 6:10 am Reply

I just turned 36 years old this month. Can I still apply?

• Yalesi January 31, 2016 @ 10:52 pm Reply

Yes, you can still apply

• Yalesi February 1, 2016 @ 7:02 am Reply

Hello YALESI,

Could I apply to speak or is the speaking panel closed?

Regards.

• Yalesi February 1, 2016 @ 10:56 am Reply

Dear Persis,

If you want to be a speaker, please send us your information (including age) to communications@gyin.org. We will let you know how to proceed from there

• Yalesi February 2, 2016 @ 5:35 pm Reply

I am koffi
    i would like if the business like production and transformation of cassava is welcome

• Yalesi February 5, 2016 @ 1:34 pm Reply

Yes, of course it is welcome

• Yalesi February 5, 2016 @ 6:53 am Reply

I have submitted a business plan and sent a mail to your official email but I have not received any feedback or acknowledgment from you